Thursday, May 22, 2014

It's a whale of a tail!

I've been solo-guiding tours since May 5 but Sunday was my first chance to get out on the water with my camera!  Now, I know what you're all thinking ("FINALLY!!!!!!"), and trust me, I feel the exact same way.  My shutter finger has been itching since I got up here. 

I was lucky enough to get to tag along on M/V Haarvendaam with Captain Liz.  Liz had a group of three guests going out with her and she's such a wealth of whale knowledge that I couldn't pass up the opportunity.  The weather was perfect for spotting animals - slightly overcast but not too hot, not too cold, and gorgeously flat water. 

Mendenhall Glacier

Sea Lion with salmon

Look at those beautiful blowholes!
Whale blows move between 200-300 mph!
Momma showing her calf how to dive
Sea Lion haul-out on Benjamin Island
The sea lion was thrashing his head around attempting to tear up the salmon he had caught and the gulls were all trying to catch any pieces that fell off.  We saw humpbacks several times but the mom, calf, and friend were by far the best part!  The baby was swimming all around and even showing tail!

All in all, it was a beautiful day to be on the water and I couldn't have enjoyed it more!  Hopefully I'll be able to bring my camera out more often and get y'all some even better photos!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you got out on the water. Great pictures. GP Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a delightful day! And the photos are wonderful. Excited to see more :-) Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are having a good time! We enjoy your photos & all of your adventures too!!! Love from Jojo

    ReplyDelete
  4. We want more entries!!! LOL Mom

    ReplyDelete