Friday, June 7, 2013

A "swell" boat ride

Today wasn't horrible, the weather was nice and I had a good day at work and got off early and got some chores done.  But it was also a day when I didn't get to paddle. 

So I decided to take it upon myself to make it better.  And how did I do that?  I found a way to get on the water. 


We had a half day tour that one of my bosses, John, had to go pick up with the boat late this afternoon.  He knows that I don't get on the water as much as I'd like and that I always enjoy being out on the ocean, so I called him and asked if I could tag along on the boat ride.  He let me go and while it was only a short 20 minute jaunt to Middle Island, it was also the highlight of my day.  


 The weather was pretty good; no rain, light breeze out of the southeast, and mostly cloudy.  There was quite a really big swell though; probably the result of some big storm hundreds of miles away.  It could have been pouring rain and I wouldn't have minded (ok, maybe a little bit), but something about being off shore always improves my mood no matter what. 

I really like how this turned out.  Someday I want to get this printed on canvas (one of those ones where the picture wraps around the sides so there's no external frame)!
Mt Edgecumbe
Part of the Cheichi Island group

The iPhone takes surprisingly good quality pictures! Now, we did see multiple sea otters but we were moving to fast to get a good picture.  Though adorable, they are rather skittish of small boats slowing down near them.  This is most likely a behavioral trait that's resulted through the traditional hunting of sea otters by the native peoples from small watercraft.  They're still beyond cute though!  Hopefully I'll get a good picture of them someday.  Add that to the goal list!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for calling John and tagging along! What a beautiful day it was. Love the pictures - the snails are VERY cool! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of the bald eagle! Your time there will be over before you know it - drink in the experience and live the day! We dropped wine off to your mom yesterday and Ty did not understand that you would not be there. He was very disappointed! They miss you and can't wait till you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, thanks! I love how the snail picture turned out!

    Carrie, I'm hoping to get to the Raptor Center soon and hopefully get some upclose pictures of bald eagles. It's the premier raptor hospital and rehabilitation center in Alaska. I know it must be hard for him to understand and I wish I could give him a big hug and tell him that I'll be back soon and then we can hang out again! I'll try to write them each a little letter soon. :)

    ReplyDelete