Friday, July 26, 2013

Indian River

Today, instead of lazing around my apartment and possibly never actually setting foot outside as I sometimes like to do on a day off, I went hiking.  I had invited my friend Chris from work and his wife Maria to go with me a few days ago and this morning we settled on hiking along Indian River. 

Now, I knew it was going to be a long hike, but I had forgotten that it was 4.7 miles out... and 4.7 miles back to the car.  Luckily, it is relatively flat and with only moderate elevation gain towards the end.  I guess that's the lovely thing about a trail that mostly follows a river! 


Chicken of the Woods fungus
The hike, despite being really long, wasn't overly strenuous.  But definitely by the time we reached the end we were all ready for a break.  Luckily, the end of the trail also included a very pretty 70 foot waterfall.

And of course I blinked haha



The waterfall was a perfect place to stop for a snack before turning around for the trek back.  Chris also decided that it was a great place for a swim.  Maria and I thought he was absolutely crazy but oh well, he was the one that was hiking back with wet hair.

On our hike back we noticed that the salmon had moved further up the river in preparation for their spawning run.  They will begin running in earnest in about a week or so and that I can't wait to see! 
SALMON!!!!! They'll be running here in the next week or so and then the river will be completely full of them!
All in all, we went about 9.4 miles in just over 4 hours.  I'd say we kept up a pretty good clip.  My sore feet couldn't agree more!  Another successful day off!

2 comments:

  1. What a spectacular hike! I sure hope this is one of the activities you have planned for us when we come to see you NEXT week! Ah - we're so excited to see you and adventure with you!!!!

    Love,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, this is most certainly on the list! I believe that I have it for Saturday. :D

      Delete