Saturday, July 13, 2013

Verstovia

I know that is has been absolute ages since I last posted something and I'm sorry to all of you who check this regularly to keep up with my adventures!  So, over the next few days, I will try my darndest to catch up. 

So much has happened in the last few weeks.  I've gotten to solo guide a few of my very own trips, the entire crew was given a day off for company day of adventuring (blog about that tomorrow as it is getting late tonight), I've made some new friends, and tried my hand at hiking Mt Verstovia. 

Now, I say tried because out group didn't get all the way to the top on our first attempt for a variety of reasons.  The mosquitoes were out in droves due to the significant lack of any sort of breeze, we had started the 3 hour hike at about 5:30 pm, and my knees weren't holding up too great (we had hiked Sea Lion Cove about a week before and that had annihilated my knees and since I had worked the entire week, I hadn't rested my knees yet). 

We did however, make it up about 2,000 feet to the viewpoint.  Keep in mind, this is 2,000 feet in only 1.2 miles.  Needless to say, it's a bit of a rough go.  But the view was worth it. 

View of Mt Edgecumb and Sitka from Verstovia viewpoint
 I can only imagine how amazing it would be on a clear and sunny day!

When we finally got back to the car, we discovered that I had parked in front of one of the biggest salmonberry brambles any of us had ever seen!  And with berries everywhere!  Needless to say, we picked a few hat fulls of the lusciously sweet, yet slightly tart, berries and ate them all on the short drive home.
Eventually I will try Verstovia again and I will make it to the very top to the a 360 degree view. 

Who wants to join me?? 

1 comment:

  1. Sue and I are game for hiking with you to the top (or die trying).

    ReplyDelete