Thursday, July 18, 2013

Milestones or stepping stones?

A few days ago on the 15th, I marked the halfway point in my summer of adventures in Alaska.  I have now been in Sitka for two and a half months and have just under two and a half left in this wonderful place.

I find that this allows for a careful consideration of what I have accomplished so far and those things that I still wish to do with my time.

I have moved to a place I have never been to work for people I have never met.  I have made wonderful friends whom I hope to know for the rest of my life.  I have learned knew skills and managed to improve in two different jobs at the same time.  I have learned knew things that are useful in my daily life.  I have embraced the differences and begun to thrive on them.  Above all, I have grown.

I still want to summit Verstovia and Arrowhead and Bear Mountain and Mt Edgecumbe (the volcano).  I want to hike Indian River and Harbor Mountain and Gavin Hill.  I want to paddle all day and camp next to my kayak.  I want to see the salmon running.  I want to go berry picking.  I want to do do so many things in so little time.

I want to keep adventuring.

It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
               -Andre Gide-



2 comments:

  1. Wow. That's about all I can come up with right now. Your introspective nature never ceases to amaze me. I am SO, SO, SO happy that you followed through on this dream and are able to experience this adventure. You go, Girl!!!!!

    Love,
    Mom

    P.S. - I wish I had done something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momma, thank you for the compliment :) I'm so glad that I undertook this adventure as well. It has been everything that I had hoped for!

    ReplyDelete