Saturday, April 12, 2014

I'm baaaaaaaaack!!!

Hello family and friends!

As of April 8, I'm back in Southeast Alaska but this time I'm in Juneau.  So for those of you who don't know very much about SE, here's some fun facts about Juneau, AK.

(1) Juneau was named for gold prospector Joe Juneau.
(2) It is the state capitol and has a population of about 31,000.
(3) Downtown Juneau sits at sea level but the mountains that rise up immediately behind it range from 3,500 to 4,000 feet in elevation. 
(4) At the top of these mountains is the Juneau Icefield, from which over 30 (!!) different glaciers flow.

I'm so excited to be back in Alaska!  This summer, I'll be working as a naturalist/guide for Alaska Galore Tours, primarily doing whale watching.  Yes, you did indeed read that right... I'll be getting paid to watch the whales.  :D

I've only been here for a few days so I'm starting to get all settled in.  I really love my apartment and my roommate and I are getting to know each other, although it feels like we have been friends for quite awhile already! 

We don't start work for about another week so I'm sure there will be some adventures to share with you all soon! Have a wonderful day!  Amanda and I will be out enjoying some rare spring sunshine!

1 comment:

  1. We are SO excited for you! And proud of you for following on with the adventure! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete