Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Adventure in Getting Here

Have you ever been told that getting there is only half the journey?  It is certainly that but this time was quite a bit more.  So... for those of you who don't know, Sitka AK is 1,245 miles from Boise, ID.  It's also on an island so driving the whole way is out of the question. That leaves flying or taking some sort of boat.  You can't reasonably take a car on an airplane which left only the ferry.



Now, I've got to tell you, I was skeptical about the ferry.  I knew it would be one heck of an adventure but I had no ideas what I was getting in to.  I had a vague idea that there were lounge chairs around the ship that I could sleep on but didn't know where they were or what kind of chairs.  Turns out, the chairs are in the Solarium, a "room" on the top deck of the ferry that is enclosed with glass walls and ceiling but is completely open-air towards the stern.



Thankfully, there are a ton of heaters attached to the ceiling or else it could have been quite a bit chillier! The Solarium is where you find most of the young seasonal workers headed north for the summer.  So we're talking a good assortment of people but mostly looking like the hippy-outdoorsy folks of Eugene or Portland.  All super nice people though!  Each person had claimed a lounge chair; now this is not your comfy armchair from home, this is a white plastic lounge chair like you may find on a pool deck.  Not super comfy, but hey, it's free.  All you need is your sleeping bag and whatever you carried on to the ferry.  Side note, next time I'm bringing a sleeping pad to put between the chair and my sleeping bag!

Dad was initially quite un-enthused when I told him where he would be sleeping while accompanying me on my adventure.  I think what mostly got him was the lack of internet or cell phone reception (you could see the shakes beginning from the withdrawls by the first few hours).  But by the end of our 3 night adventure (well, once we arrived in Juneau), I think he had really enjoyed himself and found it entertaining to get to know everyone who had chosen the Solarium.

Juneau was a disaster and a blast.  Let me explain.  The ferry docked in Juneau at the ridiculous hour of 3:45am... and we disembarked by 5am.  We arrived at our hotel utterly exhausted only to find the front door locked and no one there to let us in.  So, we simply forfeited out reservation and turned disaster into zzzzzz's by finding a much better hotel.  After a nap, we decided to make the best of our day; Powells never let a vacation hiccup get us down! Coffee was in order (for Dad, hot chocolate for me) and we picked the best little breakfast place I could have ever hoped to find: the Sandpiper.  Phenomenal eggs benedict with salmon! Mmmm... I don't think I'll ever be able to recreate it.

On a full stomach, we decided to go see the Mendenhall Glacier.  It was really neat to be able to share the experience of seeing that beautiful place with Dad.  Unfortunately, because it wasn't quite the summer season yet, none of the trails were open, but we were able to get a good view of it and snap a few pictures.





I want to apologize for how terribly long this post is, I promise, they won't all be like this!  If anything, this is proof of just how long it takes to get to Sitka!

After an amazing day in Juneau, it was finally time to board the ferry for Sitka.  Which didn't depart until 2:30am... and we were in line with the car by 11pm. But oh well! It's all part of the adventure and lesson learned for the future.  Next time, I won't show up so early.

Thankfully, the ride to Sitka was mercifully short and only required a quick nap before we arrived in town.  Well, 7 miles outside of town.  Without ever seeing town because of the clouds.  But, the important part is we made it!  My new boss, Alison, met us at the ferry terminal to introduce herself.  I'll tell y'all about my job next time, don't want to overwhelm you.  :)

Long story short, the adventure of getting here was beyond amazing.  I had an excellent travel buddy (thanks Daddy!) who helped me get all moved in to my little apartment and helped me learn my way around town.

And this only marks the very beginning!


No comments:

Post a Comment